Thursday, January 12, 2017

Photography Basics

phtography Basics

Began this article back during September of 2016, and put it aside. Am searching for motivation because the Spring Bloom begins soon. Thought I would put together a post for my own personal reference. Have been procrastinating and have had no motivation. I get stuck in front of the monitor and get doing other things and forget my photography. Think I have found a way to motivate: am going to define "some"of what Wikipedia calls "concepts and principles. Well here goes:

Concepts and Principles Of Photography

  • Angle of View:
  • What the lens sees when the camera views an object that can be captured with clarity. Sometimes objects are within this angle yet are not distinguishable items over to the very edge of what the lens can pick up. Kind of like on the fringes of one's vision. Also, our eye ball bends and adjusts as we view objects, yet a camera's lens is solid and does not flex nor adjust. Field of view comes gains importance when capturing images up close: our eye would adjust (by bending) to compensate... and fixed solid lenses will create aberration and distortion. Wide-angle and fish-eye lenses are designed to alter the angle of view. Searched around and found a video to help visualize angle of view and all of the inter-related concepts. This is basic stuff and very important to grasp. This is why camera makers include "kit" lenses along with a dSLR purchase at a certain size. So that an entry photographer can start capturing images right out of the box. My Canon Rebel T-5 came with a "kit" lens:18mm-55mm. This size covers basically a standard eyesight range. There is a fish eye effect lens image below.The video above explains the angle of view, focal length, and lenses much better than I could text.

    Fish Eye Effect

    Need to credit this image below literally. It is from wikipedia and labeled for non-commercial re-use.

    Maxwells fish-eye lens


  • Aperture
  • The f-stop!!Am going to access another video by Philippe Dame. Am constructing this post alphabetically, yet aperture is his next video in his series loaded onto YouTube.The aperture is an opening through the lens that can be adjusted to control the amount of light striking the sensor. The diaphram opens and closes, depending on the setting, to allow more or less light.

    Aperture Diaphragm

    The best link I could find to teach about diaphragms is about the human eye. Our Iris

    Need to credit this image below literally. It is from Wikipedia and labeled for non-commercial re-use.

    Aperture diaframma


  • Chromatic Aberration
  • Wanted to discuss this next concept linked above because I find it interesting. Am finding that all of these terms are inter-related and connected. So it is worth the time to study. The Spring bloom is coming shortly this year. Have missed it each year since beginning my photo journey and hope to use this blog to keep me focused.

  • An aberration of my own.
  • Major Tom - My Friend

    This is an image of Thomas. The right side is "blown out.," caused by the Sun entering my kitchen window. I try to avoid this effect, yet this image is an example of why an aberration may actually enhance a run of the mill portrait. To me, this flare shows off Tom's personality. He seems to be eyeing, "When are you going to stop sticking that 'thing' so close to my face?

    image of my cat with a lens aberration

    Below is an image of a Joshua Tree which has a nice natural lens flare aberration. Completely unintended.

    Lens Flare - Joshua Tree

    My own flares and blow outs above are prevented easily by changing my perspective. Just moving before capturing the images. But to me, these two images are uniques because of the aberrations.

  • Circle of Confusion

No comments:

Post a Comment